Celebrate and Be Healthy This Summer
With EatwiseRx Summer Party Tips
With 4th of July cookouts and parties just around the corner, EatwiseRx wants to remind
everyone that you can fire up the grill and enjoy the party while still making sure you and your guests eat well. EatwiseRx specializes in creating personalized nutrition plans for people with
diabetes, but their recipes and cooking tips can make any barbecue more healthy and flavorful.
“We encourage everyone to enjoy their holiday celebration and declare their independence from greasy, fatty, sugary foods. You can enjoy foods you love and prepare them in a way that
supports good health,” said Jeff Ensminger, R.D. Director of Clinical Services for EatwiseRx. “Make the most of the summer bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables.”
Simple changes like substituting your own home-made BBQ sauce for the sugar-laden store brand can save you calories, carbs and dramatically reduce your sugar intake.
Some other tips include:
- Eat a healthy high-fiber breakfast or snack before heading to the party. You’ll be less likely to overindulge if you don’t arrive hungry.
- Load up on veggies first. Grab some gazpacho, a green salad or grilled veggies before hitting the pasta salad end of the cookout buffet table.
- Add some healthy fats. Healthy fats like nuts and olive oil help you feel satiated. Drizzle some on your fruit and veggies or grab a snack size portion of healthy nuts to have in the car.
- Share your healthy eating plan with friends and family. Ask for support and you will likely receive support. It can help to have a partner in health.
- Bring what you love. If you’re heading to a party bring something that works for your dietary needs to share. If you have something you enjoy eating, you’ll be less likely to pick on unhealthy snacks.
- If you are hosting the summer party, try something new like one of EatwiseRx delicious and healthy recipes. The easy herb marinade packs a flavor punch and is great for chicken, meat fish or vegetables. Or try grilled salmon topped with garlicky tomatoes and basil; it’s like bruschetta without the bread. Don’t forget fruits to and vegetables taste great on the grill. EastwiseRx recommends zesty grilled green beans as a side dish and grilled pineapple rings for dessert.
For more recipes packed with great taste but designed for healthy living, visit the Diet & Diabetes Resources section of EatwiseRx.com. For more information about EatwiseRx’s services, contact 716–608-3110 or visit www.EatwiseRx.com.
Founded in 2012, Buffalo-based company EatwiseRx has made nutrition counseling more easily accessible to people with diabetes by providing the convenience of in-home consultations with diabetes nutrition experts. The EatwiseRx team of Diabetes Diet Experts are all board certified Registered Dietitians. They provide practical recommendations, nutritional information and personalized meal plans to ensure that patients have the essential tools for self-managing the disease and for “better eating” along the way. By helping patients to adopt these lifestyle changes, EatwiseRx is empowering patients to take control of their diabetes through healthful, enjoyable eating. EatwiseRx programs are currently available in the Western New York area, with new locations to be announced soon.